Monday, November 14, 2011

Excited for Koi's



What is more fun to watch than a pond full of colorful Koi's?

Many times I have been mesmerized by these almost mythical animals as they seem to have the personality of a puppy combined with such a wide array of color patterns that I would dare to say no two are the same.  So naturally when we realized we had finally accomplished our goal of re-habilitating one of our stock dams and could not colonize it with any fish of our choice, I fantasized with the idea of having my own Koi pond. So, being logical I decided to see if Koi could actually be a profitable endeavor for me to go into.

After researching the needs of a Koi I was ecstatic to see that our pond would be an ideal home to breed Koi’s in and we have a second pond that will be wonderful for growing the Koi in as an adult Koi will actually secrete anti-growth hormones to try and prevent other Koi’s from attaining the size s/he has already. And even more exciting is how both these ponds will be suitable for year round homes for the Koi’s!  

So here I am I have released the only 2 I could get my hands on ,Hippy and Humus, with a whole summer of watching for them and taking note of those whom supply Koi and those whom purchase and how the supply in SD does not nearly meet the demand.

Excited I am for spring when I will be releasing enough Koi’s to start my own little endeavor!!

 




Above is an image of the worlds largest Koi  who at 4' weighs in at 90#!

No comments:

Post a Comment