Friday, September 16, 2011

Our Favorite Cranberry Sauce


I make my own cranberries every year and it is so easy to do I can't belive everyone does not make them, I cannot stand the taste of canned sauce but this homemade version is delish!

This is the basic recipie I always triple it at least.

4 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups pure maple syrup or agave nectar *
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 to 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange peel

*though the recipie calls for maple or agave... I stick with the agave it gives the cranberries a really fresh taste that only those seasoned agave users can relate relate too ;) If this is your first time useing agave the ONLY company to go with is Wilderness Family out of Minnesota, they are the only truly raw ( I know others claim) agave out there... blue agave just means its over cooked (and thats BAD!), should be a light golden color.

Place all ingredients into a medium-sized to large pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.

Cook for about 10 minutes while using a spoon to mash the berries as they cook, mash to the consistany you prefer.

The sauce will begin to thicken as the berries cook, cook to the consistancy you like, will thicken a bit more while cooling.

Remove from heat after the sauce is thickened and the berries are mashed the way you like them.

I like my sauce cold so I make this the day before thanksgiveing.... saves on my thanksgiveing day work load too!

No comments:

Post a Comment